Q&A icon

Startup Q&A

Back to questions

What is the best state to incorporate a startup?

Vanessa Kruze Kruze Consulting

Vanessa Kruze

CEO and Founder of Kruze Consulting

Table of contents

I’m a Deloitte Tax alum, CPA, interim CFO, and I prepare 150+ startup (DE C-Corp) tax returns every year.

If you’re a startup that is seeking VC investment in the future, you must be a Delaware C Corp. VC’s cannot invest in LLC’s and S Corps without creating serious tax consequences for their fund investors.

Either way, **where you actually pay taxes depends on where you have Sales, Property/Rent, and Payroll. ** This apportionment calc can be tricky, so you should consult with a CPA. Take these two examples, both of which are San Francisco based DE C-Corps:

  1. Company A is a software dev company and has it’s headquarters/payroll in SF and is a DE C-Corp. It files a CA and Federal tax return, but it also pays Connecticut Sales Tax because it’s sole customer is based in Connecticut (and CT for some weird reason taxes software dev!).

  2. Company B is an app company and has it’s headquarters in NYC and is a DE C-Corp. It has nationwide revenue, but the vast majority of its employees are in NY, NJ, and MA. It files a NY, NJ, MA, and Federal tax return.


We are the experts at helping seed/VC-backed Delaware C-Corps with their accounting and finances!

Talk with a real accountant, not a generic salesperson!

 Kruze Consulting
Scott Orn
 Kruze Consulting
Alex Janeck
 Kruze Consulting
Edith Silva

Help us get in touch

Enter your name
Enter Company name
Enter Phone number
Enter Email
Enter Message

Important Tax Dates for Startups

  Talk to a leading startup CPA