Keeping your teammates happy is dependent on what each individual person wants. But in general, there are Four Types of Teammate Happiness:
- Financial Recognition: bonuses, raises, etc.
- Time: flexibility, work from home, extra PTO.
- Public Praise: kudos, thank yous, titles, promotions, status, and recognition.
- Community: purpose, values, mission, and a higher calling.
What works for one person likely won’t work for another, so the the road to teammate happiness starts with a 1:1 conversation:
- Who do you admire (in business, in your life, or otherwise)?
- What are your biggest challenges in this job?
- Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
- What would you do with your life if you could retire today?
- What are personal goals for the next year?
- What makes you angry or annoys you?
- When do you feel most in your groove?
Your answer to that teammates happiness and what motivates them is embedded in these questions :)