Q&A icon

Startup Q&A

Back to questions

What kinds of taxes must start-ups pay for funding in California?

Vanessa Kruze Kruze Consulting

Vanessa Kruze

CEO and Founder of Kruze Consulting

The taxes that you’ll need to pay depend on your unique situation, so it’s best to contact a CPA. I’m a CPA/interim CFO and I work with over 550+ startups. Here’s an example of the myriad of filings and taxes that a VC backed SF based Delaware-incorporated startup must pay:

  • Jan 31: Send out 1099s sent out to contractors, W2s to employees.

  • Feb 28: SF Payroll tax due (to close out previous year)

  • Feb 28: DE Franchise tax due (depends on your Balance Sheet and Stock issued/outstanding)

  • Mar 15: C Corp Tax Return due (but can extend to 9/15 for Fed)

  • Apr 1: File your SF 571-L Business Property Return (may or may not need to file, SF will prompt you)

  • Apr 15: $800 Annual CA Franchise Tax due

  • Apr 30: SF Payroll Tax Quarterly Installment due

  • May 31: File your SF Business Registration Renewal

  • July 31: SF Payroll Tax Quarterly Installment due

  • **Aug 31: **Pay your SF 571-L taxes

  • Oct 31: SF Payroll Tax Quarterly Installment due

  • Rolling: $25 Statement of Information due, check your mailbox for a white postcard.

Need an accountant for your startup? Kruze Consulting is a leading accounting firm working with seed and venture funded Delaware C-Corps. Kruze Consulting provides all things Accounting and Tax, including interim CFO Consulting, financial modeling, annual taxes, R&D tax credit studies, venture debt consulting, 409A reporting, bookkeeping. Contact Kruze today!

Contact Us for a Free Consultation

Looks good!
Please provide your full name
Looks good!
Please provide company name
Looks good!
Please provide valid phone number
Looks good!
Please provide valid email
Please enter a message.
Looks good!
$250M+ VC Funding Raised
I had a great experience working with Kruze Consulting when we raised Series A. They know what VCs need to see, and how to present a startup’s books and finances. If you are going to raise venture capital, you need experts like Kruze.
Chris Mansi Viz AI

Chris Mansi

CEO @ Viz.ai

Kruze Consulting San Francisco
600 California St. 12th Floor
San Francisco, CA, 94108
(415) 322-1610
  Talk to a leading startup CPA